Thursday, March 24, 2011

5 years later

I'd like to thank those who commented or sent me an email on my March 14th post with their opinion about what to do with this painting.

I intended to cut it into two pieces, crop and reframe each as smaller, vertical paintings. But when I unframed it I was immediately drawn to the spontaneous marks in the border area just outside the picture and how they differ from the more controlled strokes within the scene. This led me to reflect how my work today differs from this 2006 painting. Apparently my view of the world has softened and become more tolerant and playful, less literal. My application of the medium has evolved which affects the character of my marks.

So when I cut this painting into two pieces, I couldn't resist reinterpreting the scene on the left. Then, putting the two pieces back together, it was easy to visually compare how I, and my work, have changed. Click on the image to enlarge.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Barbara, you have made both pieces into separate, strong paintings. You ARE amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loriann, you are amazingly kind. The painting on the left is back on my easel for some fine tuning or wash-off - whichever happens first. I'm going to really try to frame the one on the right before I find myself doing something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Please do frame the one on the right as soon as possible! I do enjoy what you are doing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across your site and I love it. As I scroll through the entries, I can see your "evolving"...but that is a sign of growth, not? I am a pen and ink artist, and through the years I face the same thing as you...do I change the past art work, or leave it?? People do not see it as much as we do, but that doesn't lessen what we see!! I love your work. Keep on! BJR

    ReplyDelete