Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Is it plein air?

plein-air plānˈer | adjective [attributivedenoting or in the manner of a 19th-century style of painting outdoors, or with a strong sense of the open airthat became a central feature of French impressionism.
As with most days this August, I headed outside to paint this morning. I admit I wasn't very inspired but I thought I'd paint the Studio garden and winding path again. After about an hour I had a cute little painting. I'm not a fan of cute little paintings. Surprisingly, I hadn't taken any photos of my location or progress steps as I usually do so I can't show you how really cute it was but without hesitation I wiped the whole thing off with a paper towel and began again with a big brush then a palette knife. So, there I was, painting outdoors. but instead of the scene before me I found myself painting from memory until this woodland scene emerged. I don't know if this painting would be called plein air but the experience was so I titled it Plein Air Morning.
Plein Air Morning, Oil, 8x6 inches
©2018 Barbara Benedetti Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment