Sunday, August 22, 2010

my experiment


I've been doing a lot of thinking about process vs product. If I give myself as much information as possible in the planning stages of a painting (careful sketch on my painting surface, careful underpainting to guide me) there is a better chance that I'll have a successful painting/product. However, I don't enjoy that process as much as doing an interesting oil wash with color and texture that merely suggests my scene. So, I thought I'd try my previous painting again. Above is my loose oil wash - that was fun.

For Summer Sojourn 2, I looked at the reference photo but didn't look at the first painting (posted August 16th). My lighter application of pastel left more of the foundation showing to become part of the painting. My favorite area is the upper right corner (click to enlarge). All in all, I ended up with a similar painting, but without careful planning, this time I had to work harder and talk to myself more about what and why. It was a more challenging and engaging process for me. I find this interpretation to be more lively and I believe I have given the viewer more to think about.

2 comments:

  1. I think both are beautiful pictures, and even though they are of the same subject, both have a different feel. This new one, for me, gives a sense of confidence of mark and really holds my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh yes, I really like the fingers of oil paint in the upper right. (I am glad I clicked) Your explorations are exciting to watch. Can't wait to see what is next!

    ReplyDelete