Wednesday, June 29, 2011

june

This painting began as part of the five-artist demo at the American Art Company Gallery. I have been looking at it on my studio easel for a week. There was a one square inch area that bothered me (unfortunately, I don't have a photo of how it looked) so last night I began to paint on it again. The longer I worked on it, the more I felt the life of it slip away. I don't know how else to describe the feeling...it wasn't alive to me any longer - it was just a surface of unrelated marks and color so I washed it off and began again.

I wouldn't say I brought the original painting back to life, I would say a new painting, with a new message, was born.

This morning I ran across an explanation of painting on fb that rings true for me from artist Dan McCaw:

'I think about painting like sculpting, you add, you take away until you feel some connection, something that feels right, something that helps tie one thing to another and starts to hold your interest, something that surprises and makes you engage.'

No comments:

Post a Comment