Friday, February 13, 2015

challenge progress

Dappled Path, pastel, 23 x 18 inches, 2005
In my last post I mentioned a new challenge I invented for myself: to paint  a color study based on an old painting but with a new interpretation of strokes.

It didn't work as planned but I am very happy with the new painting, shown at the end of this post. I used the original Dappled Path, painted 10 years ago, as my reference. Many of the same colors were used but in different amounts. The paper makes a big difference - the original was painted on Canson Mi-Teintes and then, I used the texture to tell the story. This time I used Colourfix. I really did TRY to stay with the original composition but the creative process took over. See the progression below.
Step One - charcoal sketch
Step Two - dark pastel
Step Three - and from here it took on a life of its own.

Dappled Path II, pastel, 6 x 4 inches, 2015
My next challenge is to paint Dappled Path II 23 x  18 inches, unframe the original and use the frame, mat and glass for the new painting. 


  1. What a difference ten years has made to your pastel work! I think the first one is still a strong piece, but the new version has that confidence and that quality that marks it as your own...lovely work :)

  2. Thanks for your comment Leesa. I am reluctant to publish such a vintage piece that has marks that make me cringe but felt it was necessary to show what I'm doing. I hope to revisit other old pieces and reuse the frames. So, more public cringing to come. : )