Monday, September 4, 2017

September Song in Oil

September Song 2017, oil 18x18 inches

THE BACKSTORY

September Song 1997, colored pencil 15.5 x 14.5 inches 
The original "September Song" was nearly square so it took minimal cropping to prepare the reference photo for my oil painting. This drawing was purchased out of my studio by H.D. when she came to consult on a commission portrait I painted of her husband. Private Collection.

The first step for this painting was sanding away an old oil landscape painting on a cradled wood panel.

Next, with my pastel study as reference, I began blocking in the new September Song.

Lightest values, darkest values and a little alizarin crimson thrown in. Set it aside to dry.

Added a glaze of Indian Yellow.


Working on it ...




No comments:

Post a Comment