Friday, March 22, 2013

the path of least resistance

Yesterday was the first day of spring, today we had snow in Washington. At the change of seasons, I find myself in a reflective mood. Winter is over - what were the events of my winter that are memorable? What do I want to make of Spring 2013? One thing, paint bigger. This is a 24x24 inch oil from the Nisqually Refuge series. Water filling nooks and crannies as grasses define its path of least resistance.

What is my painting-path of least resistance?

1. Establishing the composition using values only. I covered most of the painting surface with a medium value sepia tone then brushed or wiped away paint for the lightest areas and added full color paint for the darkest areas.

2. Using a color palette already familiar to me, I am using the notes from a previous painting to begin adding color.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see more of the notebook you are using, too. The whole Nisqually drainage is a lovely area.

    ReplyDelete