Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Took a pastel break

If you have followed my blog you know that I have a history of painting over old pastel paintings. I remember Albert Handell's puzzled look and comment to me, "Let me understand... you take a perfectly good painting and wash it off and start over?" Yes, I do. The reasoning might be complicated but it's what I have done since I started in pastel many years ago. It's what I have to do.

Today I hit a new low (or high?). I painted over a 6x6 inch and a 7x5 inch painting. At that size, it isn't about being frugal by saving the paper to use again. It's about a painting that missed the mark by a little. Both of these paintings were "perfectly good" but not exceptional. I pushed them farther today in color and in my mark making and I'm happy.

Study #3 for Dappled Path (revisited), pastel, 6x4 inches
sold




House on the Hill (revisited), pastel, 6x6 inches


No comments:

Post a Comment