Thursday, September 29, 2011

over and over

Some paintings practically paint themselves - and some definitely do not! This seemingly simple subject and composition began as a plein air sketch at the Elizabeth Mowry workshop a couple weeks ago. Back in the studio, I thought I could finish it quickly but the challenge was in the lighting.

I declared it done and photographed it (twice!) but I still had a nagging feeling about it so it went back onto my easel. I'm happy with it now to tell the story of the approaching storm that summery day, and of the change of seasons.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice. I saw this being painted and it looked good then, but this is outstanding. Love the softness of the purple flowers. And the sky. It is all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that purple and ochre combination. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this one Barbara! I know exactly what you mean by some paintings painting themselves while others are an uphill struggle to get right. Again, this one deserves an applause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was well worth the extra effort Barbara! The atmosphere of this painting is so palpable. Love it!

    ReplyDelete