Friday, November 2, 2018

Oil Wash Foundation Saves Time

This is a reference photo. It is mainly green. My last painting, "Lakeside" was green and I'd like a different palette so I printed the green reference photo as a grayscale and worked from that.

I set it aside to dry and went on to teach my last Mentor session of 2018. If you are interested in spending 3-4 hours with me once a month in a mentor situation in 2019, let me know - I'm starting a list for January, February and March. Also let me know which week day you prefer. Now, back to this painting...

I quickly did an oil wash on Art Spectrum Colourfix off-white paper. 

I chose my pastel colors first based on value, then on hue. Darkest value first.

November, pastel 11 x 18 inches $1100.


When the students left, I started applying pastel to the oil wash foundation (darkest value first as shown in the photo above). I had about 2 hours before we were to leave for dinner so I worked quickly and then walked away. This morning I made very minor adjustments and framed it. This painting came together quickly because of the oil wash foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment