Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Last Day of 2018

December 31, 2018

At the end of 2017 I wrote that in 2018 I would be more discerning about my art commitments both in showing my work and in teaching/mentoring. I felt ready to paint less, knit and garden more. Retirement was looking good but then some things happened that got me fired up again. 

I was honored to do the walk-through comments on the Award Winners at the 32nd International Association of Pastel Societies Juried Exhibition at American Art Company, Tacoma and I judged the Maple Valley Creative Arts Council Art Festival. 

Another motivator to paint came in the Fall as I hauled empty frames, mats and glass out of hiding places in the studio and began "painting to the frame" - I painted and framed about a dozen pastels in a relatively short amount of time. I also installed a new Walker hanging system in my Studio to accommodate the paintings. I still have a few empty frames (with mat and glass) to go before I change from pastel to oil to fill the frames without glass. 


Walker Display Art System
Another thing that makes me want to paint is the rearrangement (yes, again!) of my Studio. I have finally bonded with this space and it was because I set up a large table for both my Fletcher and Logan mat cutters. Yay!


Big table in my studio
Throughout 2018 I participated in online and gallery shows with some of the art organizations I belong to  - Women Painters of Washington, Pastel Society of the West Coast, Plein Air Washington Artists, Black Diamond Arts Alliance, Oil Painters of America and International Association of Pastel Societies. I was reminded how it feels to be an award winner. 

I was also happy to have six paintings in the  "Natural Instincts" exhibit at Ajoya, Mercer Island and I continue to be represented by Attic Gallery, Camas, American Art Company, Tacoma and  Scott Milo Gallery in Anacortes.

In 2018 I held mentoring sessions in my Black Diamond Studio. Similar to Private Sessions, these mentoring sessions are for 3-4 artists each time. I enjoy sharing what I have learned and will continue Mentoring Sessions in 2019.

Today I was looking at the Editorials I wrote for the Northwest Pastel Society November 2009 through August 2012. I still find them informative and I thought you might too, especially if you are relatively new to pastel. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2019.

Newton Editorial NWPS November 2009

Newton Editorial NWPS February 2010

Newton Editorial NWPS May 2010

Newton Editorial NWPS August 2010

Newton Editorial NWPS November 2010

Newton Editorial NWPS February 2011

Newton Editorial NWPS May 2011

Newton Editorial NWPS August 2011

Newton Editorial NWPS November 2011

Newton Editorial NWPS February 2012

Newton Editorial NWPS May 2012

Newton Editorial NWPS August 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment