Saturday, November 21, 2020

Homemade Pastels



When I cleaned and reorganized my soft pastels, I ended up with a paper plate full of chips and small pieces to grind and roll into new colors.






1. Grind pastel chips using a mortar and pestle.
2. Pour pastel powder onto a surface and mash tiny chunks with a palette knife.
3. Form the powder into a little mountain with a crater in the top.
4. Drop in water and mix into a paste using a palette knife.


5. Form the paste into a sausage and place onto a paper towel and wrap and roll a couple times.
6. Hold each of the two ends of the paper towel and make a see-saw motion, letting the pastel roll across the surface of the paper towel under it's own weight. 
7. Set the paper towel with pastel still on it in a safe place to dry for a few days. 

Viola! New pastel sticks.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. I have found that it is important to make note of holidays even though this year we can't celebrate as usual. Without holidays, my year becomes a time warp. I need markers of the passing of time. Take a look at special Thanksgiving pricing in my Etsy Shop, BBNewtonART.


No comments:

Post a Comment