Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Painting with Abandon

Hahaha...

Today Pinterest brought up a tiny thumbnail of a gorgeous painting. I clicked on it to see who painted it and was surprised to see that I did! It was from March of 2016,  titled "Wild," and sold to Sandy D.

"Wild," 5x7 pastel sold

This month I have been working in pastel again after more than a year working in oil. I'm painting for my annual Super Summer Sale and also to enter a few upcoming shows. Once again, I'm striving to paint with abandon and because of that I was interested to read my text from 2016 when I posted "Wild" on my blog.

"Sometimes I push a pastel painting past the point of no return. When the words "labored, contrived, sweet, pretty and cute" come to mind, it is time for me to hose it off (Wallis paper), brush it off (most other papers) or get the baking soda out (Pastelmat).

This painting was a big mess (well, as big a mess as a 5x7 can be). I finally took most of the pastel off and began again with ABANDON. Yay! I'm happy with it now."

And so, with abandon, here is today's painting.

"Bliss," pastel 10x8 inches
P-2021-6-16

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am intrigued by your "baking soda" comment, as I use Pastelmat a lot. I have never heard anyone mention this before, can you tell me how this method works or what you do?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hello, I wish I could give credit to the artist who posted this info but I can't remember where I read it...maybe on FB. Anyway, I tried it and it worked! Sprinkle Baking Soda on the pastel painting, rub in small circles with your fingertips and shake off. I was amazed and happy.

      Delete