Monday, November 7, 2016

What do you do when your painting is too small

Lake Morning Fog, pastel, 6x6 inches
...too small to be reproduced by an art publishing company? You paint it again...larger.

I made a color copy of the original 6x6 inch painting, drew an X over it and also lightly drew an X on a piece of sanded pastel paper. This is how I "eyeballed" the scene to transfer it from 6x6 inches to 20x20 inches.

I worked from the top down keeping the patchwork of colors and shapes as similar as I could to the original painting.
I have become fond of the technique of using a paintbrush to soften edges as needed.

Getting into the hard part but I'm also half done!

NEW Lake Morning, pastel, 19.5 x 19.5 inches
This was a learning experience and a challenge. Same subject and basically the same palette but painting larger is so freeing. Strokes are more expressive because more energy and motion is involved and colors become more lively. Fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment