Monday, November 7, 2016

What to do when you're done

...with your art commitments for the year. Get a new plan. I could sit on the couch with the dog and contemplate what to do with the foreground of the painting on the easel.

I'm stuck but I don't need this painting for a show until next March. I'll let it sit for awhile because what I really want to do is paint with oil. I have been dreaming (literally) of how to start again. I have a plan.

I'm going back to the basics for subject and color. White Eggs. Simple shape. Minimal color. Nuanced white. White on white. I shot these reference photos yesterday and I'm excited to get started.

I start with an old oil 8x10 inch landscape painting on a SourceTek canvas panel. Using a colored pencil, I sketch placement of three eggs on a plate.
My Caddie Buddy holds my old iPad and the reference photo. I use Titanium White and Ultramarine to obliterate the previous landscape image.
Now, Titanium White and Yellow Ochre.

Three Eggs is in the beginning stages. From here on, I will be paying close attention to adjustments  of white "color" and temperature. I had a happy morning in the Studio. I love oil paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment