Monday, October 1, 2018

BABY STEPS to get going again...

I used to be a prolific painter (I also had a house-cleaner) and taught and wrote about art. Now, I prefer a more balanced life putting family and friends higher on my priority list. Over the past spring and summer I gardened instead of making art but Facebook and Instagram kept me informed and I cheered the successes of my peers.

Now it is Fall and the gardens are done. My outside work is reduced and I need to get back into the studio but what happened to my motivation, inspiration and energy for painting? I could easily let the rest of the year slide away with excuses of the busy holidays, starting fresh next year, etc. But I know I am my best self when I am making art and I can't intentionally subscribe to not being my best self.

So, here I am documenting (as much for myself as for readers) how I plan to jump-start myself to paint again.

1. Clean/organize the studio. Fortunately I had a long-scheduled Mentor Session last Friday and cleaned the studio for students.

2. Reduce online distractions. Facebook and Instagram have been entertaining but it's time to focus on my own work and the work of a select few artists who I hope to learn from and be inspired by. I will continue to blog.

3. Read a good art book. This goes along with number 2. and the select artists I will be studying.  Just got this book from the library and I look forward to spending time and making notes.

4. Restock art supplies: I just placed an order to Dick Blick for OMS and varnish. I wanted to order painting surfaces (not for pastel - I have lots of sanded papers) but couldn't decide what surface so for now I'm going back to gessoed watercolor paper. I'm going to make a note here so I can remember how I did this because in the past, it was trial and error. This is 140 lb hot press Lana Aquarelle watercolor paper. I gessoed one side with a roller application. When dry, I spritzed the gessoed side with water and laid the paper gesso side down onto a wood board, taped around all edges with wc paper tape and applied gesso to the paper. Let dry thoroughly then sand lightly with fine sandpaper before painting with acrylic or oil.

5. Browse my old art journals: Looking back reminds me of who I am and what I do when I am being my best self.
I'll print this post and glue it into my current art journal and make a note on my calendar to read it if this happens again next year. Happy Fall everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment