Saturday, June 13, 2020

Is it your work? or not...

It is a rainy June Saturday morning here in the Pacific Northwest. A good day to paint! On the easel this morning is the larger version of "First Peonies."

At left, the reference photo. In the middle is the painting I'm working on and on the right is the small study I painted in preparation for the larger work.
In November 2019, when I decided to set aside 2020 as a year of study to become a better oil painter, I enrolled in a year-long painting course with Colley Whisson. I have long admired his art and have thoroughly enjoyed working with him.

I submit the painting to Colley for critique and he makes great suggestions about how it can be a stronger painting. Most of the time I take his advice and paint more on the same painting or, if I am happy with my original version, I paint the same scene again. That was the case with "Yellow Mug and Lemon."

At left, my original. At right, second version after advice.
NOTE: Once I incorporate his suggestions, it is no longer my work - it becomes classroom work and not eligible for competition. I can show the work, sell the work, but I can't enter it into a competitive show as my original work. Carefully read a prospectus when entering shows. Most professional shows (that are juried and judged for awards) will state that work must be the original work of the artist.

I recently painted "June Morning." Colley made some good suggestions but I didn't make those changes to the painting or paint it again using his advice because I wanted it to be my original work.

"June Morning," oil on panel, 10x8 inches
So, back to "First Peonies," the painting on my easel this morning shown at the top of this post. I painted it once, submitted it for critique and I am now painting it again (larger) incorporating my mentor's advice. I am a huge fan of mentoring and I try to apply what I have learned from my mentor as I begin each new painting. Happy painting to you.

By the way, I had to disable comments by others on this blog because of spam. You can still reach me by email. Barbara Newton at Comcast DOT net.


No comments:

Post a Comment