Thursday, October 14, 2021

Mid October check-in

Does anyone read blogs anymore? I wonder. Am I writing this for you or for me? For both of us I think because I plan to read this blog when I am old. When I am old...ha! This is my birthday month and as always, a time of introspection for me. 

This morning I spent some time with "Monet at Étretat" (a gift from My Biggest Fan) and though I got only as far as the Director's Foreword by Amada Cruz, already I have come to meaningful words that apply to me. 

Cruz writes that Monet's time at Étretat was a difficult personal and professional endeavor whose outcome was uncertain and that he was initially unsatisfied with his work. There is loneliness in a quest to forge new artistic territory in an authentic and meaningful way. I am reminded that as artists, we share a common bond of creativity and all its challenges and joys. Though I am alone in my Studio today, trying to figure out what to do with a painting that has been waiting resolution for many months, I feel kinship with all artists, including Monet. It comforts and reassures me. 





Upper left to bottom right:
1. The painting as it is now
2. New composition ideas using Procreate on my iPad
3. The fake flowers and real (but very old) oranges.
4. Considering adding a glassy baby.

Wishing you happy painting this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment