Saturday, May 2, 2020

Paint Along May 2020 Step 1

 Step 1 Supplies and Line Drawing

This paint-along will be done in oil but for the line drawing and underpainting I will use acrylic.

Canvas panel holder: Years ago I made various size holders...this one is for my 12x9 canvas panel. I glued 3 pieces of 3/16 thick foam core onto a larger piece of black 1/4" gator board. I slip the canvas panel down into the slot. Works great.

Reference photos: In color, printed on glossy photo paper, and in grayscale, printed on plain paper.

Masterson Sta-Wet palette: The sponge keeps acrylics wet. Close it up for overnight. Here's a link to it on Amazon but it is less expensive from Dick Blick, Jerrysartarama or Cheap Joes.

Acrylic paint: I have a variety of paint. All brands from student to professional. These just looked good for the photo. Cad Yellow, Alizarin Crimson, Cad Red, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue, Titanium White and Burnt Sienna.

I mixed Ultramarine Blue and Cad Yellow to make green. Using a #6 flat acrylic brush, I interpreted the scene using the reference photo as my guide. 

The red lines: 
1. Make sure your vertical or horizontal lines are correct. The front of the planter box around the tree is straight with the edge of the canvas. 

2. The tree in the left background relates to the edge of the planter box. 

3. In this view of the scene, the  base of the green tree at right is even with the back of the planter box. 

4. In the reference photo, the horizon line appears to run downhill from left to right. More interesting than a straight horizon.

5. When you paint the tree, try to follow a branch all the way from trunk to sky. Be gestural, use big movements of your arm for rhythm. We don't want a stiff, tight tree. Note, some indications I made are with a pretty dry brush and not much paint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment